Friday 27 March 2020



Final Major Project Update – 27/3/20

In the past week I have gone back to working on my creatures, starting with the scavenger creature. Here is the design reference board:



As previously posted I started with some sketches and silhouettes. I used the silhouettes to determine what kind of body shape I wanted to use, whether it would be something more raptor-like or more bird-like. My aim was to make the creature look agile and somewhat threatening. 


With the sketches I continued the idea of the anatomical similarities with the first creature I designed (the predator). I gave this creature a crest, four eyes, and spikes along its spinal cord/tail. There are also smaller similarities to tie it all together.  I made one of the eyes bigger and one smaller to emphasise the bird qualities. I was very happy with the head I created in my first sketches and only made small alterations along the way.


Next I took note of which bodies suited the creature most and continued to sketch with this in mind. I used oviraptors and velociraptors as reference. I sketched something I really liked, and went on to refine it. 


I changed the body shape, feathers, and spike placement. I found that the final iteration looked best. It gives a sense of agility and mischievousness. It was also eye catching and unique.


I tested some colors. I already knew I wanted red from my previous sketches, especially because I had incorporated the red and turquoise feathers into my natives’ designs. So I mostly experimented with pattern and color placement.


After choosing a color scheme, I made some gestural/action sketches to show how this creature would move.


And finally, I created anatomy sheets, showing muscle, skeleton, and head views.



I also began a photobash+painting of the scavengers’ head. It is a work in progress.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Submission Notes

Final Major Project - 30/05/20 - HAND IN UPDATE As I previously emailed my tutors about, I was having a lot of technical difficulties in ...