Tuesday 3 March 2020



Final Major Project Update – Creatures – 3/3/20

Apologies for not updating recently first of all. Secondly, here’s what I have produced in the past few weeks for my creatures!
After determining the design of the Thymexodon (apex predator) and the mount creature, I developed anatomy reference pages for both. I used existing creatures as reference to make the anatomy as accurate as I could. I also produced some head views and feet views. I decided it would be beneficial to show the main body, muscle structure, and skeleton separately from each other and then show the skeleton’s placement within the body.






I went on to create a final render of the predator. I used photo-bashing and painting to produce a realistic render. I used the textures of a crab, scorpion, beetle, alligator, rock minerals, and a lion. I decided to work in black and white to determine texture before colour.


After finishing the render, I used overlay layers to add and experiment with colour schemes. I even overlaid images of fish or precious stones to try patterns out on the body. I experimented with a colourful and vibrant scheme as well as a few controlled palettes.




I found that the bright blue/purple colours were too ocean-like and not suited for the environment. I kicked those colours to the curb for the moment, but carried the idea forward of having markings on the back half of the body.
A couple of my tutors and my peer gave me feedback on my work at this point. I was told to make the forms of the predator render more organic by changing certain areas, such as the back piece, the fore legs, the back legs, and the back of the neck. I have yet to act on this feedback.

As for the other two creatures, I have started on the basics of their designs. I did some silhouettes and sketches. 



I decided to keep certain anatomical similarities within the creatures of the local environment so they all looked related. This is why the scavenger design has a head crest with the nostrils like the predator does. It also has four eyes, and I will probably add some long spiky tail feathers to reflect the predator’s rump spikes.


In the next post I will cover what I have produced for the native race in the past few weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Submission Notes

Final Major Project - 30/05/20 - HAND IN UPDATE As I previously emailed my tutors about, I was having a lot of technical difficulties in ...