Thursday 21 May 2020

Final Major Project Update – 21/05/20 – Forest Deities

 

I recently finished work on the deities that can be found around the environment and at native settlements, where the main character can “pray” in order to level up skills etc.

I began with inspiration from clay sculptures and pottery from Africa, as well as pottery from the Jomon period of Japan. With these in mind, I sketched 6 iterations of what the sculptures would look like. I made sure to give them all the same trait of having 4 eyes, and a head crest, to relate to the natives and creatures.

I got some feedback from my peers and concluded that the final design should be sturdy and not too delicate, as most of these “shrine deities” are old and scattered through nature. I chose the top right to be the basis of my final design.  I moved to Zbrush next to sculpt the final version. I thought it would be much faster and easier this way to edit and show different views. I mostly used the clay build up, dam standard, move, and trim dynamic brushes. After, I applied some materials and then screenshotted some angles to move back to photoshop.




Next, I added more realistic lighting and texture using textured brushes on multiply and overlay layers. I also painted moss on top. I then made an aged iteration. I created a new layer in Zbrush to subtract chunks of the model and make it appear broken and worn. I took this back into photoshop and edited the colours and shadows.

I took this aged version and added glowing lights to some areas, showing how it would react when “praying” at it.

Lastly I quickly bashed this guy into one of my own photographs to give a rough example of how they could be found. The environment is not as tropical as the in-game environment would be though.

 I really like how this little guy came out, I would like to do a couple more versions but I am quickly moving to my next task.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Submission Notes

Final Major Project - 30/05/20 - HAND IN UPDATE As I previously emailed my tutors about, I was having a lot of technical difficulties in ...